Friday, April 06, 2007

Progress

I am about one month away from my first race and just finished another on-line trainign program that was about 8-10 weeks. So I ran a 5k pushing myself for race pace to see what progress I had made. In the midst of trying to figure out how to round out my training without injuring myself before the race I was surfing running sites and saw a thread of people who were just finishing the first training I basically did couch to 5 k. They were now doing a program that had them working up to running an hour in a session. The first 3 weeks are 30 minutes 3 times a week and they were discussing how hard it was to still run 30 minutes. I stopped myself shocked as I thought- Oh that's not too tough. Less than 6 months ago I was having trouble running 2 minutes. After the first training I ran 30 minutes then finished up the 5 k running and walking it. I remember talking with my husband about how I didn't want to start off running 30 minutes every day becasue that was still to otough for me. I had done a 6 week version of the couch to 5k so I started with finishing that up and then moved on to this program that has me go 30 minutes two times a week and on the third day I worked up to 4 miles with 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking intervals. It is amazing because while you are doing this you get lost in the process and forget how far you have come in a short time. You get inpatient or so focused on where you want to be your forgot where your starting point was.

So the new running time is below. As for push ups I realized that my form was all wrong for the modified pushups I was doing- I was keeping all my weight back which is why I could do them endlessly and never get stronger. I have been working hard on my form- started with 2 sets of 12 wall push ups, and worked my way up so now I am doing 2 sets of 7 modified push ups -correctly -and then do planks afterwards. I have head one rule of thumb that when you can do 3 sets of 30 you should be able to do one real one. Both these areas are long roads for me but I am getting there.


Goals
X Complete initial 5 k training program
X Run 5 k on own (41.30) (37.30)
Complete 5 k race
Run 1.5 miles in 14.30
Do 38 crunches in 1 minute
Do 1 Push Up
Do 18 push ups in 1 minute
Get to goal weight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home